Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Form Five in 1962 Tanjong Lobang School Miri



I was a little boy then only wishing to study hard and break away from the vicious cycle of poverty. Most of my school buddies were very determined as well. We often talked together like brothers. Our teachers were like gods and goddesses to us.

One of the activities I remember most fondly was the work party. I took pride in doing all the work for the school as I consider the school my saviour.

One of the teachers I remember most fondly was Mrs. Sargunam. In later years I met her in Kuching and she remined a very kind teacher towards all of us knowing truly that we were from extremely poor families.

So it is good to have this photo digitalised for all of us to remember her and my seniors in school.

Form 5 in 1962 with their class teacher, Mrs Sargunam who was expecting her first baby Sarah.

Do you remember them?

1. Jolhi Saar
2. Said Mohidin
3. Grace Tze
9 Late Abdullah Aziz Khan
10. Hatta Solhi
11. Mohidin Seman
12 . Leong Mei Kim
16. Timothy Liaw Aik Hon
19. Bernard Agan
20 Awangku.... Awg Anu
21. Zamiran Ujang
22. David Tie
23. Salleh
24, Mrs Sargunam
25. Ahmad Razali
26. Musa Girie?
27. Late Waslie Ramlie

Photo is from Prof. Haji Mohamed Abdul Majid
Biology Department
Universiti Brunei Darussalam,
Jalan Tungku Link, Gadong,
Brunei Darussalam BE1410

4 comments:

Robert Rizal Abdullah said...

Sawan,

I love the weekly work parties too! The School was our pride and keeping it clean and trim was a pride. How I wish the same mentality could be injected into the students of today. It certainly will change our nation.

JB said...

Hatta Solhi..

Now Datu Dr. Hatta Solhi, non-executive Chairman of Zecon Engineering Bhd in Kuching..

Noble Savage said...

Hi
Nice to have worked in the work parties...we did our best to turn the school into a beautiful school with a well trimmed campus. Just us and the changkuls and parangs.

I understand Ai Kon still uses a changkul in Perth!!

Noble Savage said...

Dear JB

Thanks. Yes most of the Tanjong Lobang graduates have a lot of honorifics today...but in my blog...i just remember them using their student day names...

Hatta is a dear friend of mine. My kindest regards and respect for him.