Monday, June 22, 2009

Going to School in Tanjong Lobang by Coastal Steamer



Years ago I kept this photo very carefully.

These were my school mates from the other divisions who would come in with the coastal steamer called Keningau. A few of the girls also had to travel in this manner - it was the cheapest and perhaps the only means for many of us. So going to school in those days was risky and there was no insurance. (No one has heard of insurance at that time.) If a life was lost it was lost. Gone.

Ting Hie Siong was one of the best friends I ever had and we met up often in Sibu when I was working there for a while.

Then there were Rony Assim (now Ahmad Assim) Alec and his brother Angki and YB Hamden.

My journey to and from home was by walking through the jungle- long boat - government boat from Limbang and then the old coastal bus from Brunei. I do not think any 9 year old would do that nowadays.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those were the good old days. People who survived were made of sterner stuff. Darwin's law applied - only the fittest survived. Nowadays, thanks to modern medicine and extreme life-saving measures, the principle of "survival of the fittest" no longer applies. The weak, who would not have survived in the old days, survive to a good old age. We've interfered (in a good way) with nature.

Thanks.
http://writingsunsets.blogspot.com/

David Chin said...

Beside Keningau, I also remember, Kunak and Kimanis (the smallest)

My father was working as a shipping clerk for the Borneo Company in the early 50's, in Miri.

Noble Savage said...

Thank you. I like to think that I am one of the fittest..

Cheers!

Noble Savage said...

Dear David....
I would have very pin hole knowledge of shipping in Sarawak in those days...only from stories and by land I knew only the Miri Brunei bus..most of the time I walked and walked...today I do jungle trekking...