Wednesday, May 9, 2007

1958

In 1958 according to the school records, 95 students registered on 20th January.

As I was not there yet that year,I would not do justice to everyone by describing only the few I knew....I was only 12 years old when I arrived a year later. But the big boys and the big girls were friendly and I enjoyed getting to know them.

However these characters were the ones that I got to know.


Ah, Rapheal Scott Abeng was as great senior. I was just a tiny little boy next to him. It was a pity he was with my group only for a year. But he went on to flourish as an artist and a well known personnel in Sarawak and in the Commonwealth. He went on to bring acknowledgement from well known people and made Sarawak significant as a little wonderful place which could produce an artist like him. I am sure the seeds of creativity must have been planted in him while he was in Tanjong Lobang.

What a great guy!

Sylvester Juan was a handsome from Rumah Kana Logan Tason. He is a very fair Iban young man who has great manners and is very soft spoken. A real gentleman, Sylvester is the type of man who will not forsake his juniors or forget significant and insignificant people whom he met. After he retired from the Agriculture Department, he continues to travel throughout his beloved Sarawak and meeting up with old friends, and share a joke or two.

Then we have Danson Gayne from Rumah Gana, Bangkit Tengah, Paku Spaoh, Saribas whom I remember well as a great senior with a great sense of humour. He was together with me in Kanowit where I served as Principal of Sedaya for a brief period of 1975. We spent days revelling our school days and remembering precious childhood friends over cold beers in the coffee shops in Kanowit.

Well, I don't have to describe the most incredible leaders of our state : Frank Apau, Walter Chambersw, Alfred Jabu, Henry Jantum, Noel Hudson,Ding Seling,Gerawat Ulun,Mohammad Sabil,

No comments: