Thursday, May 31, 2007

Aloysius Lisu Ajang

Lisu was my classmate since 1959 through 1965.

As a person he was stocky and plump, but very jovial and literary he was an excellent singer and inclined to be absolutely romantic. Can't remember whom he fell in love. If you don't mind my saying, it was a certain Miss L. a very pretty one. He had very good taste in pretty ladies I must say.

I was inspired to pick up the guitar by Lisu and we taught each other. Our first performance was when the Principal, Mr. Brighton, asked me and Lisu to sing during the school barbeque or beach party for the entire boarding population in Luak Bay. It was just below Shin Yang's boss's beach house.

We must have sung Elvis Presley's song, Have I told you lately, very well to my embarrassment there was a thunderous applause and we even participated in the Beatles' Song Contest at Cathay Theatre which was won by Abeng Lim and Group, comprising the lead singer (now Datuk) Sapuan Annu,State Director of Agriculture, now and the brother in law of Datuk Adenan Satem. His performance was something that Miri had never seen!!! And Ismail had a perfect rendition of John Lennon which made a few expat ladies scream like the real Beatles fans. And Abeng perhaps was the best guitarist in Miri.

Lisu and I ,together with Jeffery Pasang, and Kuek the drummer did not win. Someone must have sabotaged us, because there was no sound coming out of our borrowed guitars. Somehow in 1966, I recovered my dignity when Julius Noheb now known as Julius Linggod and I won the Miri Open Talentine , singing the Everly Brothers' number, Bye Bye Love. The sponsors somehow seemed to have given a watch for the first prize which turned out to be an imitation or fake. But nevertheless it was the first position that mattered to both Julius and I.

for the Women's section, Angela Chung Choo Ting, won the first prize , with me and Julius , JPS backing her with our guitars. Her dress that night was clearly a winner. It was short, very short and sexy. And she was really sexy and attractive. Do ask her when you have a chance.

Hope that she will join our group when David and Sam locates her.

No comments: