Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Water and Mrs. Philips

Those of you who remember Mrs. Philips will remember this incident in class.

I am always the sort who get big laughs, even until today.

Mrs.Philip as you know was a wonderful science teacher. In the 1960's Malayalese (who speak Malayalam - spelling is the same backward and forward) from Madras coast of India came as well educated science, maths and English teachers to Malaya, Sabah and Sarawak. They in fact helped us produce so many science, maths and English graduate as a result of their good teaching.

Like any small boys and girls, we did tend to be a little naughty. But nothing could escape the ears and eyes of Mrs.Philips. She could stand no nonsense in the class and she would always achieve her lesson objectives.

One day she was teaching our class some science experiment.

Suddenly someone (I know who he was) blurted out a heavily Indian accented "WATERRRRRR".

Mrs. Philips turned around and pointed out to me, "Sawan, younourrghty,nourrghty, nourrghty boy! S-t-and up!" (Do imagine her accent!)

My punishment was no less than one whole period of standing up. I was sheepish, but I smiled charmingly.

"There was no greater love than giving up your own life for another......This was a far, far better deed than anything I have ever done........" (Misquote from Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities)

And ever since then Mrs. Philips thought that I was a very,very naughty boy....who was daring enough to punctuate her absolutely silent and attentive class with an outburst of "WATERRRRR".

Today I still stand innocent and the person who did that to me knows it very well. I won't tell who. Sometimes I feel that I am still that little boy who has to stand for long hours as a punishment for something I haven't done.

Life can dish out something good and something bad. But we should take everything in good faith and with a big pinch of laughter.

Indeed I was very happy to welcome Mrs.Philips to Miri many years later and my wife and I took her to visit Miss Rose Chin and others. We had a lot of fun time together....those were wonderful teacher-student moments. Perhaps only TLS can give an ulu boy such graciousness ,respect and love.

I went on to give Mrs.Philips one of her best results in biology - a distinction. I am really proud of it.

I believe none of my fellow TLS students ever bear any grudges against their teachers....it is not in our nature......yeah!

No comments: